Understand the application of linear system theory to the implementation of analog
The student will be able to understand and use signal space ideas to carry out probability-oferror
calculations for various signaling schemes in the additive white Gaussian noise (AWGN)
Produce system-level designs for modulators and demodulators for AM-large Carrier, DSB
(double sideband), 2-channel multiplexed DSB, SSB (single sideband), and FM (frequency
The student will be able to calculate the maximum bit rates and error probabilities for zerointersymbol
interference (ISI) regimes and for controlled ISI regimes in bandlimited
Understand the design tradeoffs for the aforementioned modulation schemes with respect to
bandwidth and noise immunity.
The student will have a basic familiarity with the concept of channel capacity for AWGN
channels, as well as the essential concept behind channel coding.
Communication Systems II
E C E 437
( 3 Credits )
Statistical analysis of information transmission systems. Probability of error, design of receivers for digital transmission through additive white Gaussian noise channels and bandlimited channels. Spread spectrum communication systems. Channel capacity, source and error control coding.
ECE 331; ECE 436 or con reg
Department: ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGR College: College of Engineering
Communication Systems Engineering, J. Proakis and M. Salehi, 2nd Ed., Prentice Hall (2002)
Required / Elective / Selected Elective
ABET Program Outcomes Associated with this Course
Program Specific Student Outcomes
Brief List of Topics to be Covered
- Review of LTI systems, probability, and WSS Gaussian random processes.
- Introduction to signal space ideas with application to signaling over an additive white Gaussian noise (AWGN) channel; various signaling schemes, including phase shift keying (PSK), pulse amplitude modulation (PAM), quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM), and frequency shift keying (FSK)
- Minimum probability of error receiver architectures for AWGN channel and different signaling schemes, including non- coherent detection for FSK
- Probability-of-error calculations for AWGN channel for various signaling schemes
- Digital PAM transmission over bandlimited AWGN channels; zero ISI, controlled ISI; probability of error calculation.
- Introduction to AWGN channel capacity and the concept of channel coding.